Thursday, September 25, 2008

Sungkai-ed out

My gals and I started a blog just for us. I wont even bother to link it cos no one can access it but us. I've been giving them food reviews on all the sungkai's I've been to so although raya is about a week away, maybe I should do it here too...

I started off with Villa Mauri with the 3 other lawyer ladies I regularly hang out with. I didnt know what to expect for $20.00 but when we saw the menu, we decided to have the All U Can Eat anyways. Its essentially a 4 course meal and u choose one of each course to have but u have to finish one course before u can move on to the next. There being 4 of us, Maurizio made us a mixed platter of all 3 starters then the 3 pastas (love the Marinara + ordered an additional plate), 2 little pizza's with a mixture of the 3 offered, 3 main course (lamb, fish and beef of which we were given a slice each) and were totally full by this point but could not deny ourselves dessert especially when it was tiramisu!! We also had the fresh fruits and ice cream. We were TOTALLY sated and definitely got our money's worth. Thanks G!

Then on to Ridzqun the next day whose buffet I enjoyed very much last year with the GHK crowd. Lots of variety but of course mostly Malay food. However, it wasnt the main course that I enjoyed the most but the stuff from the stalls outside like the kambing bakar, fresh murtabak, fresh ambuyat (ok so I din eat this but H loves it), curry fish head, fresh teh tarik, etc. I think it was worth $21.00 compared to some of the other stuff out there though I wasted la with H's mum cos she mainly ate satay and beef rendang only...keke.

Next up was Takara. I'd read some good reviews so H, his mum and I went. We started eating at 6pm (this was not a problem as there was only like one Malay table and the rest were all Chinese!). T came in and told us to start eating anyway so we headed off. The sushi wasnt out when I was examining the table (and mistook the dessert for starters) but I got my fill later on together with the gyoza, fried udon, fish furai, fried rice, soba noodles, salmon sashimi (thanks T!!), prawn tempura which came with HOT soya sauce (for those not in the know, please see here for the idiot's guide) and various desserts. Seeing as it was quite a hefty buffet, I was ok having only water and rose syrup to choose from. Definitely very worth the $12.80 we paid cos if u think about it, u definitely would order more if you had ala carte and its Takara!

The next day I was at Airport Restaurant for a lawyers informal do. Lots of variety as usual but cos my benchmark was Ridzqun/OGH for these kind of very "Melayu" buffets. It was rather disappointing. It won points with my on having roti jala but lost when they didnt have sliced almonds as topping for the ice cream. WRONG!! Main course, ok ok only la...they had chilli crab but other than that, nothing any more special than their normal buffet. And its $25.00!! Not worth leh...oh not to mention u have to pay for parking lagi tu.

On my 3rd day in a row of sungkai (I dunno how people do this), I tried the Millenium buffet. That was this year's GHK gathering and the curries were nice. For a change I preferred the main courses to the measely starter and dessert spread though the ambuyat was too watery. It was not a bad buffet and certainly filled me up but I'm not sure its worth $16.80....or maybe its just me...but then I think the I Lotus one is definitely not worth it whereas many seem to think otherwise.

Tonight I will be heading to TT Blues and next Monday, Nasi Kandar Penang...we'll see how those go...

2 comments:

Desmond Ho said...

Ha ha ha idiots guide..

jaz lee said...

hey pandachu,so nic eto read what ure sharing here.ridzuan sound sso familiar,and i realised my hubby used to stay there evytime he went for biz trip.itz a nice hotel.;)