Thursday, September 18, 2008

From Big Temple to Little Temple

We had chosen the dates, picked the hotels, decided on our route and game plan so next came the most important thing of all...no it wasnt out leave....it was PARENTS!! Dr A's parents did not approve of 2 gals wandering around Cambodia on their own so yet again my dreams of visiting Angkor Wat were dashed. I was supposed to join this group but it was not to be. Sigh.

Not to be deterred, Dr A and I considered the alternatives...We decided to stick to Asia as I had just returned from Europe and Dr A is making her big plans for Oz next year so...where do we go? Manila just didnt sound exciting enough for me cos all we knew about was the shopping...if Cambodia was out then Laos and Myanmar were too and we were not allowed to go to Thailand with all the politics happening there now.

Then I remembered EL had been hankering for me and H to visit him in Jakarta for a while and conveniently he was in town so I could ask him what there was to do there. When he suggested Yogjakarta, I was sold! Borobudur!! Finally, what was in my history books (again) will be alive in my eyes!! Going to Jakarta also meant that I could possibly try and buy some of that French lace that I'm planning to have for my cheongsam (but that's in another post). Just to be safe, Dr A and I decided on Hong Kong for our fallback plan incase her parents disapproved. Well, I have family there and there is Disneyland should be ok.

We waited with bated breath for Dr A's parents to say yes (My mum was no problem as it is one of the places that she wants to visit too but she cant go cos my sibs have exams). Dr A's parents are delicate creatures so they needed a bit of time to absorb the information (mind you, their first reaction was that there were stampedes in Indon). A few days ago, while shopping I got the following message from Dr A...

"Green light!! GREEN!!"

We were good to go!! (dance dance)





This 9th century Buddhist monument is found in Magelang, Central Java, Indonesia and is Indonesia's single most visited attraction. The monument is both a shrine to Lord Buddha and a place for Buddhist pilgrimage. More can be read about it here.

Before Dr A's parents could change their minds, we booked both our tickets to Jakarta and our internal tickets to Yogja yesterday. There was a slight hitch when Dr A was adamant she rather take a 7 hour train journey than travel on Garuda owing to the latest 'scares' but we found a compromise...hurrah for Airasia for flying the Jakarta-Yogja route!



I'm a happy bunny :D

(Now all I need is for H to renew his passport so we can get our tickets to KL in Dec! Grr!!)

4 comments:

Edleen said...

sounds like you'll have a blast! have a great trip :)

jaz lee said...

Beautiful layouts Panda chu and hey that fiona xie??? oh my!she's a babe rite?ure so lucky to have met her lol!

jaz lee said...

have a great trip!gonna miss you!

Vivs said...

hope you have the best trip ever babe! im sure pictures will look great!