Monday, September 8, 2008

My 2nd surgery (Warning: Long post)

Last Thursday night, H dropped me off at the airport to catch my flight to KL. Thankfully it wasnt delayed but I had to endure a scared crying baby girl throughout the whole flight. The poor mummy was also a few months preggers so she couldnt do much about controlling her baby girl. Thankfully I managed to get some sleep while the kid was pacing up and down the plane. Luggage took ages to come out for some reason and taxi ride seemed to take forever (I'm scared of all the stories I hear abt KL cabs) but I finally reached the hotel at 12ish am. Sis had been waiting for me since 10.30pm and after showers and catching up, we both slept a sound sleep.

Rudely awakened by our alarm at 7am...obviously it went on snooze a few times before we kicked ourselves out of bed to ensure we had a nice brekkie before heading to Optimax. Hadnt booked to have breakfast included in the hotel package so we asked the reception if any eateries nearby were open and the guy said there werent so we paid to have the hotel buffet breakfast. (We later found out that night the guy lied or was a gong gong cos Paddington House of Pancakes was open at 8am!!)

After finishing breakfast, we got the hotel to call a cab to bring us to Optimax for my full eye test and consultation. By 11am I was certified to be a good candidate for Intralasik and my procedure was to start at 2pm but I had to be back by 1.30pm. Following the recommendation of the optometrist that tested me, Mr Chen, we went to June Thai for some lovely and very spicy Thai food. Sis was still full so she just had sticky mango rice. We shopped around a bit in the little shops that we could find to kill time till 1.30pm.

I went back to Optimax at 1.25pm and was called in to get ready for the procedure. After being bundled up in a surgery robe, shower cap n booties, the after care procedure was explained to me. Dr Azlina remembered me from the KB seminar and performed the final eye tests before my eyes were cleaned and preped for Intralasik. I was all fine until I was brought into the room and lay on the operating table and told to look at the green light. Suddenly my heart started beating faster and I started getting apprehensive about the surgery. Thankfully the hardest part (the cutting of the cornea) was the easiest part for me as the light was relatively easy to focus on after they had taped my eyelids open and put some suction on the eye ball as the eye was just placed in this dark void and all I could hear was the technician counting down. The cutting of the cornea took mere seconds and I was asked to proceed to the next room for the eye correction.

As I lay on the 2nd OT bed, I was asked to look at some much brighter lights. I asked for it to be dimmed but there wasnt much they could do as the Dr needed to look into my eyes. The whole taping and clamping process went on and I tried very hard to keep my eyes open (eventho they were taped open) as I watched a series of bright flashes of light and smelt the burning of my cornea happening (they used the hot laser). It seemed more difficult to keep my eyes open for my left eye (they did my right eye first) after that but it went ok and I was ready to walk out after that.

I could see much clearer than before the operation but everything had a blurry halo around it. I later found out that was because my pupils were still very dilated. The lady from Optimax who guided us to the cab stand told us she had just done the procedure next week and asked me to prepare for lots of tears n some pain when the anaesthetic wore off. I hoped to get to the hotel and into bed before that happened. I went back to the hotel, got changed, dropped in the antibiotics and tears drops, stuck on the plastic eye pads and settled to sleep. Sis went out shopping. I woke up 2 hrs later to realise that I had not gone through the painful tears and stinging process. Sis came back at 6ish, turned on the lights and tv and woke me up to get ready to go out to dinner. Eyes still blurry due to dilated pupils but I knew I could see better. Luckily the eateries were just behind the hotel.

After walking a bit, we found Bavarian Bierhouse. I was elated!! H and I love the food and beer here!! We quickly settled down and I realised I couldnt see the menu very well but we decided on a platter of mixed sausages and I ordered a big mug of beer. I called H to happily tell him where we were and he was like...."but can you drink?".OPPS!!! Aiyah my beer was already here la! Well, I finished most of it anyway and the sausages and we walked around for a bit. I visited Papier and I was very good. Only bought 2 PP, a stamp set and 2 ribbon reels. We then went to Paddington House of Pancakes for dessert (call me a glutton but there is ALWAYS room for dessert) then I was tired so we went back to the hotel. My vision cleared up by about 11pm that night and all was clear!

Woke up early-ish to head to Optimax for my 1st day eye test. Dr said I was doing very well (better than most ppl for the day after tests) and informed me that I would need to check my eyes again the week after and a month after the procedure. I told her I would do it in Brunei. She advised that I go back to KL for the 3 month check up incase enhancement was needed (which is free). That works out great for me cos H and I plan to go wedding studio shopping sometime in Dec. Optimax called us a cab and we headed to KLCC to meet Mich after having some grub. As we only finished at 11am and were meeting WS at noon, I told Mich that it was better to just meet her after lunch. While waiting for WS, I contributed my 2 cents worth to the Msian economy by just visiting 3 shops!! Just when we were finishing up in G2000 (which is super expensive now *.*), WS called and said she was waiting for Chilli's. We had a disgustingly huge lunch (*hint* never order the cheese n brocolli soup there) and Mich told us she would pick us up at 12.15pm. We decided to go to Isetan and get KK's luggage then (good for hiding my shopping evidence) and said our goodbyes to WS and hurried to meet Mich.

I was greeted by this totally cool, bubbly lady in her black number who volunteered to be my driver wherever I wanted to go. I decided against more shopping and shopped for bridal studios instead. We found one at Jln Ipoh after failing at Jln Imbi and checked out their packages, photo shoots and most important of all their dresses. After picking a few, I paraded them for sis and Mich and felt fat in some as Msian women are so skinny. I'm happy that Mich persuaded me to try them on though as we now know what styles and colours suit me. Shame we couldnt take any pics. We were quasi satisfied with the dresses and alot of them were out as it was wedding season then Mich suggested I try the designer gowns. Wow! What a difference! We fell in love with 3 (and I know Mich is still rooting for those 3). When it was time to talk about pricing, I was happy to learn that the packages were within my price range and negotiable. The lady was rather disappointed that I didnt sign up there and then but I do need to consult with H first.

Now at least we know that off shoulder or halter neck dresses suit me cos of my broad shoulders. Red and light green are definitely 'my colours'. My fav photo shoots are on the beach, anything near water and with trees background. No abstract arty shots for me. Simplcity and lighting are the key. They focus more on the couple :). H has agreed to accompany me back to KL in Dec for my eye check and studio shopping. Mich (my dear angel of a friend) said she would help me scour for wedding studios in SS2 and Jln Loke Yew in the meantime.

We had to make our way back to KLCC after that to catch a cab back to KK's friend's residence for the OUMC Freshers Intro party which was to last the whole night. Those kids make me feel sooo old but I more or less left them to it and spoke to a few of them...come on la....1st class Oxford kids....feel so outclassed! Oh and KK's friends house....sooo straight out of a mag!! Former OUMC President sent us back to the hotel and we packed our stuff, ready for check out the next morning, had our showers and fell into bed.

Woke up at 11am...opps!! No spa for KK and salon hair care for me. Ric was coming to pick us up at noon and we had to check out by then so we got to reception at 11.55am (LOL), left out luggage and waited for Ric. We were taken to S17 in PJ for laksa, har meen, kway teow, cheong fun and fried cempedak then dropped back at The Curve for some last min shopping before dad's friends picked us up for yum cha (yes more eating) and sent me to the airport.

Met EK at departures and we chatted all through the flight. Its always nice catching up with old friends. H and his mum picked me up (luggage came out surprisingly fast for a change) and we had some Indon food for dinner.

Things are back to normal now....other than I keep thinking I left my contacts in...haha. So congrats for getting through this post if u've come this far and I will update with the few pics that I took while in KL later :)


Chowchow said...

Glad everything went well for you. Wink Wink - yup green and red - def the colour for you...

Growing Tree said...

Congrates for going through the Lasik bravely. I can't get myself into it yet eventhough i've have been trying to brew the courage! Already have had gr8 testimoinies from friends who are now lens-free *wink*