Thursday, June 12, 2008

Oxford is filled with tradition...

Since arriving here, we have visited numerous colleges and admired their beautiful architecture and meticulously looked after lawns. Each college has a history of its own and their own traditions. For eg. In St John's college, only fellows are allowed to "step on the grass" so to speak and only members of Christchurch college (where Harry Potter and the Golden Compass was filmed) are allowed to walk in the centre courtyard.

My sister's college, University College was the 1st Oxford University College and is of course full of pioneers in their own field (as is each college). Its one of the biggest and is where Bill Clinton (whose former room is opposite my sister's) spent a year studying as did his daughter Chelsea Clinton (whose former room my sister is staying in now, well till tmr anyway). Australian President Bob Hope was also in Oxford previously and is best known for downing yard of beer in abt 11 seconds :)

There is so much history and culture here. They try very hard to keep their old traditions such as wearing gowns for occasions and during exams (People who get 1st class in their 1st year are upgraded to nicer gowns thereafter....like more than half of my sister's friends that we've met seem to have managed to cross that hurdle so far...and no she hasnt got her results yet so I dont know). Ur college parents (2nd year students) are supposed to give u carnations to wear during ur exams. A white carnation is worn on the 1st day of ur exams then a pink one and a red carnation for ur last day. When u come out of ur last exam, ur friends are supposed to "rag" u by throwing food n stuff at you. This was stopped last year after someone slipped n fell on some of the remains of a "rag" injuring themselves. They are asked to keep to confetti and sprays etc now.

It was warm-ish when we arrived yesterday...comfortably warm but today it was just freezing!! If I was used to UK weather like I was 3 years ago then it wouldnt be a problem but today I was longing for my jumper and a longer jacket!! Oh and I must embarass my sister here because she did not wake up to greet us yesterday and left me on the verge of taking her over my lap n smacking her backside when she turned up. Her phone was off when we arrived at Heathrow yesterday and continued to be off even when we reached Oxford. Apparently the battery had run out in her sleep so she was uncontactable until finally woke up. My aunt and I were sitting in a cafe wondering what to do with ourselves and our luggage after we had finished our breakfast!! The lousy weather ruined our plans to visit Blenham Castle today but we did manage to go strawberry picking. I think I was the only one who picked more than I ate but it was fun all the same.

A BBQ is in the works tmr before we move on to London and meet my dear friend Clarissa and hopefully Edd will come out for dinner :) Thankfully London will be a bit warmer...I do hope the weather gets warmer especially for Prague n Paris next week!! No pictures yet as I have yet to move them onto my sister's lappy cos she's supposed to be all packed up so we can leave with peace of mind tmr but....hmm....we'll hv to see how it goes at this point!!

1 comment:

Edleen said...

sounds like you're having a great time :) i miss London!

enjoy the rest of your trip!