Tuesday, June 3, 2008

One night....

I was looking after dad in the hospital. He was sitting and trying to practise his signature cos he couldnt remember how to do it anymore. It was like trying to teach a child in a way. He knew it but he couldnt understand why he was unable to do it. This was a signature he used to sign dozens of times everyday and the fact that he wasnt able to do it wasnt a good sign. He had had a stroke the week before where his brain was working but his whole body was paralysed. They said he was dehydrated and after some drips he came back but it had already affected him.

After he decided to rest, he suddenly thought to ask me how much I weigh. Still being conscious of my weight at the time I said I was heavier than my sister (J2). So he asked me how much my sister weighed. I told him and then he asked me how much he weighed. I told him his weight was only 40+ at the time. Then he said "So I must be really short then". I didnt know whether to laugh or cry as I gently told him that he was taller than all of us actually but its just that he wasnt very well and that's why he needed to get better.

He passed away after a couple of weeks....


*This memory is still with me now after over 2 years and I want it to stay with me. I havent found the right picture to scrap it with so I want to blog it first to make sure its at least recorded somewhere*

2 comments:

WS said...

When I first saw your dad, he was already quite frail. But he mustered all the strength that he could to get up and greet me. It was all the memory I have of him and if only things were different, I wish I knew him earlier :)

Vivs said...

i am sure you will scrap the most memorable creation jess... your posts really touched my inner deep. i had quite similar story but he was my grandpa.... all the best to u jess. *hugs*